Herron is a community of more than 900 students, 70+ faculty members, and a dedicated staff of 20, working together to create a unique environment for learning.
In 1895 Indianapolis businessman John Herron leaves a $200,000 bequest to the Art Association of Indianapolis. As a result the John Herron Art Institute opens in 1902.
In 1952 Herron School of Art becomes the first school in Indiana to be accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design. This accreditation has been maintained ever since. IUPUI is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Licensure for students of Herron¹s Art Education degree programs is obtained in conjunction with the School of Education, who is accredited by the Teacher Training and Licensing Commission of the Indiana State Board of Education.
In 1967 Herron becomes a school within Indiana University and two years later, is one of several professional schools joined to be known as Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis.
In 2000 the $3 million Sculpture & Ceramics facility opens. At 26,000 square foot, the facility more than doubles classroom and studio space dedicated to Herron students.
In 2001 Herron’s printmaking program ranks third in the world according to an international art school survey.
On September 13, 2002 Herron celebrates the groundbreaking ceremony for Herron’s new home, Eskenazi Hall, on the campus of IUPUI.
In 2003, Herron School of Art in association with Indiana University Press publishes The Herron Chronicle, the first illustrative, illustrated, and illustrious record of the 100-year-history of the school. The book is 288 pages and records the name of every student and faculty member documented since 1902.
In 2004 Herron changes it name to Herron School of Art and Design to better represent its student population of both art and design students.
In May 2005 the 100+ year old school begins its relocation from its 1701 North Pennsylvania Street home, to the east edge of the IUPUI campus.
June 3, 2005 marks the beginning of a new era for both Herron and IUPUI as the doors of Eskenazi Hall are opened! This $26.5-million, 169,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art structure designed specifically to meet the needs of visual art students and faculty, allows Herron to better serve its students and the community with expanded degree and community outreach programs.
The Master of Fine Arts program at Herron School of Art and Design, IUPUI, ranks 45th overall and 20th among public universities, according to the 2013 edition of U.S. News and World Report’s Best Graduate Schools released in March.
To view many of our accomplishments during the 2011–2012 academic year visit our highlights page.